Saturday, March 19, 2011

Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising
By Pam Muñoz Ryan

This Great Depression-era novel is based on the life of the author's own grandmother, who had to trade a privileged life in Mexico for a farm-worker's life in California.  Esperanza, the main character, arrives in California with her mother after tragedy strikes their hacienda in Aguascalientes.  They confront classism and racism as they begin a new life in a strange land. They also begin to learn about worker's rights and union organization.
(ISBN: 0-439-12041-1)

1 comment:

  1. I love this book! It does such a good job of portraying migrant life and of exemplifying fortitude, if the protagonist is a little atypical. I haven't read Becoming Naomi Leon, but I've been waiting to read Muñoz Ryan's Dreamer. When I finally get it, I'll let you know what I think. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete