Monday, February 14, 2011

The Giver


The Giver
By Lois Lowry

Let the Jonas avatar tell you about this book (see Voki, below)!

Wow.  I LOVED this book.  I've heard about it for years, and am so happy to have finally read it!
Although there is a gentler dystopian premise than in The Hunger Games, this novel is just as powerful.  I love how the author gradually reveals the very disturbing aspects of the "perfect" society where the story takes place...and 12-year-old Jonas, the main character, is slowly awakened to what he has never been aware of before (colors, hills, joy, pain...).
On a separate note, I still remember when Lois Lowry visited my elementary school!  I think I was in 4th grade, and I know I bought one of her Anastasia Krupnik books.  Ms. Lowry signed it for me, of course, and I was hooked--I read them all.  She is still one of my favorite children's authors.
 (ISBN: 978-0-395-64566-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment